Wednesday, February 21, 2007

People


Today I had my nails done. I know it is such a girly thing to do. Really I am not a girly girl. Well...maybe I am a little.

The lady that does my nails is from Vietnam. Her name is Kim. She is tiny and sweet. She usually is very quite as she does my nails. Today I asked her if her real name is Kim, she said yes. Then I told her I have a new friend from Vietnam and I have a hard time saying his name. I asked her if she would help me learn to pronounce it correctly? She asked me how it was spelled I told her T h u a n. She then helped me to say it. Over and over. She was very excited to be helping me. Then she went around the shop and taught me to say all kinds of things. She did a good job teaching...but I didn't do that good learning. It is hard.

Tonight I saw a different woman then the one that usually does my nails. She was alive and animated, instead of shut down and quite. She was beautiful. So thanks Thuan for helping me see the real her. But sorry I am still having a hard time saying your name. She is going to keep helping me, so next time I see you I am going to say "Hi Thuan!" and you are going to say wow Jacquie you say my name well :-)

I often wonder what it is like to live in different places. What everyday life is like. It interests me greatly. There are people all over the world living day in and day out...and I don't know them or what they do or what they think. I don't get to see their beauty. Kind of a sad thought. But I am trying to make a sincere effort to meet new people, re-meet familiar people like Kim, and learn about them. It interests me greatly.

1 comment:

blu said...

Hahaha...cool Jacquie, thanks for trying, and you say it very well.

I know what you mean about the various cultures. Top on my list is photographing people and cultures around the world, so I need to start budgetting up, and get going on that endeavor.

Have a great week-end Jacquie.